Ratatouille-Style Vegetable Penne Pasta
A hearty meatless main dish that is sure to become a frequent favorite.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole fresh mushrooms, wiped cleanwith damp towel and cut into halves
- 1 (28 ounce) can Del Monte® Original RecipeStewed Tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Del Monte® Cut Green Beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, optional
- 12 ounces dry whole grain penne pasta
- Salt and black pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese, 3 ounces
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bell pepper 4 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Remove tomato mixture from heat, stir in remaining oil and season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve tomato mixture over pasta and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan heeses.
Yield: 6 servings | Prep: 15 min | Cook: 25 min
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Del Monte Foods, Inc.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.