Ratatouille-Style Vegetable Penne Pasta
A hearty meatless main dish that is sure to become a frequent favorite.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 green bell
peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 zucchini,
halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole fresh mushrooms,
wiped cleanwith damp towel and cut into halves
- 1 can (28
ounces) Del Monte® Original RecipeStewed Tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Del Monte® Cut Green Beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh
basil or1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped
fresh oregano or2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon
dried red pepper flakes, optional
- 12 ounces dry whole grain penne pasta
and black pepper, optional
- 3/4 cup shredded low fat mozzarella cheese, 3 ounces
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bell
pepper 4 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Stir in zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, basil, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20
minutes or until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally and breaking up tomatoes
with a wooden spoon.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Remove tomato mixture from heat, stir in remaining oil and season to taste with
salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve tomato mixture over pasta and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
Serves 6 | Prep Time: 15 min. | Cook Time: 25 min.
Reprinted with permission from
Del Monte Foods, Inc.