Roasted Garlic Avocado Pasta
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 leek (white part only)
thinly sliced, separated
- 1 medium red and yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch
- 1 Chinese eggplant, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 3 tablespoons
balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 medium cloves garlic, finely
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta, cooked
- 1/2 pound
boneless, skinless chicken, cooked and cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup salt reduced, fat
free chicken broth
- 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into
- 1 bunch fresh basil, 1 whole leaf per serving plus additional thinly
chopped leaves (optional)
- In a large roasting pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, combine all vegetables.
- In a small bowl, blend 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, oil, garlic, salt and
- Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Roast in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
- Remove vegetables from oven and pour on remaining balsamic vinegar.
- In a large bowl, toss together cooked pasta, roasted garlic and vegetables, chicken,
chicken broth and fresh basil (optional).
- Portion into 8 pasta bowls.
- Place two slices avocado and a fresh basil leaf on each.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about
8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition information per serving: Nutrients per Serving: calories 200; protein
15g; carbohydrates 21g; total fat 6g; cholesterol 30mg; fiber 2g; sodium 300mg
Recipe and photo credit: the California Avocado Commission.