Tortiglioni with Spicy Sausage Sauce
This recipe calls for only 6 ounces of meat, so it is good if want to cut down
on meat in your diet. (I usually have to make meatballs in a separate sauce for
MY family! LOL!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound ripe Italian plum tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 12 ounces dried tortiglioni (or use rigatoni, penne, or ziti)
- 6 ounces spicy salami, rind removed (I sometimes use pepperoni)*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
* Buy the salami in one piece so that you can chop it into large chunks.
- Heat oil and add onion, celery garlic and chili and cook gently, stirring
frequently, for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, salt and pepper to taste and bring
to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower heat, cover and simmer gently, stirring
occasionally, for about 20 minutes. Add a few spoonsful of water occasionally
if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta.
- Chop the salami into bite-size pieces and add to the sauce. Heat through,
then taste for seasoning.
- Drain pasta and put into large bowl, pour sauce on top and toss to mix.
- Scatter parsley on top and serve with grated cheese.
Posted by GourmetGal at recipegoldmine.com.