Tortiglioni with Spicy Sausage Sauce
This recipe calls for only 6 ounces of meat, so it is good if want to cut down
on meat in your diet. (I usually have to make meatballs in a separate sauce for
MY family! LOL!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh red chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 pound ripe Italian plum tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 12 ounces dried tortiglioni (or use rigatoni, penne, or ziti)
- 6 ounces spicy salami, rind removed (I sometimes use pepperoni)*
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
* Buy the salami in one piece so that you can chop it into large chunks.
- Heat oil and add onion, celery garlic and chili and cook gently, stirring
frequently, for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, sugar, salt and pepper to taste and bring
to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower heat, cover and simmer gently, stirring
occasionally, for about 20 minutes. Add a few spoonsful of water occasionally
if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta.
- Chop the salami into bite-size pieces and add to the sauce. Heat through,
then taste for seasoning.
- Drain pasta and put into large bowl, pour sauce on top and toss to mix.
- Scatter parsley on top and serve with grated cheese.
Posted by GourmetGal at recipegoldmine.com.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.