Black Forest Cobbler
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 7 cups (2 pounds) pitted red cherries*
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream or ice cream, if desired
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the 1/2 cup sugar and the cornstarch in 2-quart saucepan.
in cherries. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in almond extract.
Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole; keep hot in oven.
- Mix flour, cocoa, the 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and
salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter, using pastry blender or crisscrossing
2 knifes, until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in milk.
dough by 6 spoonsful onto hot fruit mixture.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is set.
- Serve warm with cream.
* Frozen cherries, partially thawed, can be used for the fresh cherries.