Banana Meringue Pie
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 or 3 ripe bananas
- Baked 9-inch pie shell
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the flour and salt in top part of double boiler.
- Add milk
and cook over boiling water until thickened, stirring constantly. Cover and cook
10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Beat egg yolks. Add a small amount of milk mixture slowly to yolks; return to
double boiler and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla extract. Cool.
- Slice bananas into shell; pour cooked mixture over them at once.
- Add salt and
cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until stiff.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar,
continuing to beat until very stiff.
- Pile lightly on pie; spread to edge.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 18 minutes.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cream Pie Recipes