Burnt Orange Meringue Pie
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 baked 9-inch pie shell
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange flavored liqueur
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan.
- Blend water and egg yolks; gradually
stir into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture
thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in orange juice,
orange peel and butter.
- Immediately pour mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixer bowl, making sure bowl
and beaters are free of any grease.
- Gradually beat in sugar 2 tablespoons at a time,
beating until whites are stiff and glossy. Do not under-beat.
- Fold in orange liqueur.
- Spread meringue over pie filling, sealing carefully to
edges of crust.
- Bake until meringue is just golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- Cool completely on rack before slicing and serving.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.