Cherry Meringue Pie
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 1/2 cups whipped topping, such as Cool Whip
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Meringue Crust: Heat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Cut a brown paper bag or parchment paper to fit a round pizza pan. Place a serving
plate on the round-cut paper and draw a circle with a pencil.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Crack the egg over a separate bowl. There
must not be any yolk in the whites or it will not whip correctly. By using a separate
bowl, you guard against having to toss the whole thing if you have an accident with
a yolk. Save the yolk for another use.
- Place whites and cream of tartar in mixing bowl and beat with a mixer on high
speed until frothy.
- Very gradually, add the sugar in a small stream and beat until
the meringue forms and holds stiff peaks.
- Pour onto the middle of the brown paper
and with a knife or rubber spatula, shape into a resemblance of a pie pan, pushing
meringue up at the edges to form sides. Leave a 1-inch border around the edge of
the paper, The meringue will expand slightly and you want to ensure it will fit
on your serving plate.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours. It should be crispy
- Turn off oven, open door a notch, and let sit in oven another hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before filling.
- Filling: Mix the first three ingredients with mixer and then stir in marshmallows.
Fold in the whipping topping.
- Place a doily on the serving platter.
- Gently lift meringue from paper and place
on serving dish. If you have trouble separating the meringue from the paper, place
it into a hot oven again for just a minute or two. It should lift off of the paper
- Spoon the cream mixture into the shell and spread evenly, pushing a little
up the sides.
- Pour berry filling on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
until serving time.
Variation: You can use any flavor of pie filling for this recipe. Cover half
the pie with blueberries and use cherry on the other to make a great 4th of July
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.