Chocolate Cappuccino Decadent Pie
Dawn Gilday created this recipe using Perugina Cappuccino Chocolate Candy Bars
to make a delicious pie filling. If Perugina Cappuccino bars are hard to find you
can substitute a 12-ounce package of Toll House Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels and
1 stick pack of Taster’s Choice House Blend 100% Pure Instant Coffee.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, chilled in freezer
- 5 to 8 tablespoons
ice cold water
- Parchment paper or aluminum foil
- Pie weights, dry beans or
- 5 (3.5 ounces each) PERUGINA Cappuccino Chocolate
Candy Bars, broken into pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 can (12 fluid ounces) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 to 4 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- For Crust: Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter and shortening
with pastry blender or 2 knives until it resembles small peas.
- Add water 1 tablespoon
at a time around the edge of bowl, mixing with a fork in between until dough holds
- Form dough into a ball, then flatten into a disk.
- Wrap tightly in plastic
wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to form a 14-inch
circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Carefully transfer dough to 10-inch deep-dish pie
plate. Fold extra pastry under around sides to build up edge. Flute edge by using
the forefinger of one hand and pinching the dough next to it between your forefinger
and thumb of the other hand. Continue around pie. Line pie crust with parchment
paper or aluminum foil. Fill at least two-thirds full with pie weights, dry beans
- Bake with weights for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool for a few minutes and
carefully remove pie weights and parchment paper.
- Poke small holes in the bottom
of the pie crust with a fork.
- Bake (without the weights) for an additional 10 minutes
or until the crust is golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
- For Filling: Melt broken chocolate bars (reserving 1/4 bar) and butter in a double
boiler over medium-low heat. Continue stirring until melted (this should take 6
to 10 minutes).
- Whisk evaporated milk and cornstarch together in medium bowl; beat
in eggs. Stir into melted chocolate mixture along with vanilla extract. Cook, stirring
frequently, for about 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture has thickened (consistency
should be that of very thick syrup).
- Remove from heat and cool for approximately
15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour chocolate mixture into pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours
- For Topping: Pour cream into a well-chilled bowl and add powdered sugar. Beat
until soft peaks form. Spoon over chocolate filling, making peaks with a spoon.
- Shave reserved chocolate bar over pie; sprinkle with almonds.
Makes: 10 to 12 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 350 minutes
Reprinted with permission from
Nestlé and meals.com.