Coconut Dream Pie
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, baked and cooled
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (divided use)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Filling: In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt
until well combined.
- Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of the coconut milk to form a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the remaining coconut milk and the whole milk. Place over medium
heat and bring to a slow boil, whisking constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth.
- Whisk about 1/ 2 cup of the
hot coconut mixture into the yolks, then add the yolk mixture to the saucepan.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue to boil,
whisking constantly, for 1 minute, or until very thick.
- Remove from the heat, scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula, and whisk
- Whisk in the butter pieces until melted.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and
1 1/4 cups of the toasted coconut (reserve the remaining 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- Spoon the warm filling into the pie crust and press a piece of plastic wrap directly
on its surface.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 4 hours, or until thoroughly chilled.
- Whipped Cream Topping: In an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment or beaters,
beat the cream on medium low speed for 30 seconds.
- Increase the speed to medium-high
and add the confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until the cream forms
- Remove the plastic wrap.
- Spread the whipped cream over the chilled pie and using
a rubber spatula, sweep it into dramatic swirls.
- Sprinkle with the nutmeg and the reserved toasted coconut.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 8, 2001.