Brandied Cherry Clafouti
In the summer, you can make Brandied Cherry Clafouti with fresh cherries.
- 3 cups drained black or red cherries (preferably canned in water)
- 1/4 cup brandy or cognac
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- Butter for pan
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch pie pan.
- In nonreactive bowl, mix drained cherries, brandy and 1/3 cup of the sugar. Let sit for 1 hour.
- Place flour in medium bowl and make a well in the center. Drain cherries, reserving the liquid. Pour liquid into a blender and add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, plus the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, allspice, lemon zest and salt. Blend well.
- Pour liquid mixture into the well in the flour and blend into a smooth batter.
- Spread cherries evenly in prepared pan.
- Pour batter over fruit.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake 45 to 50 minutes more until clafouti is puffy and golden. (A sharp knife inserted in the center should come out clean.)
- Let cool.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.