- 3 to 3 1/2 cups Bing Cherries, pitted
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds, to garnish the top, optional
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan that's
at least 2" deep. If your 9" round pan isn't at least 2" deep, use an 8" square pan (at least 2" deep).
- Pit the cherries, and put them into the pan; they should form a single layer
that pretty much covers the bottom of the pan.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the remaining ingredients till smooth and
frothy. If you're using a mixer, beat the liquid ingredients, then add the sugar
and flour, quickly whisking to combine.
- Pour the batter over the cherries in the pan.
- Bake the clafouti on a lower-middle rack of your oven for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F, and bake for an additional 20 minutes,
or until the top is lightly browned and a cake tester inserted into the center comes
out mostly clean.
- Remove from the oven, and wait 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Garnish with toasted almonds, if desired.
Hands-on time: 10 to 30 min | Baking time: 40 min | Yield: 8 servings
Recipe and photo credit: King Arthur Flour - kingarthurflour.com