- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen dark sweet cherries, thawed and drained
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon orange liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 6 teaspoons
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 375 degree F. Butter six 6-ounce individual quiche dishes. Divide cherries equally over the bottom of each dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, orange liqueur, vanilla extract, lemon zest, 1/3 cup sugar and salt. Slowly blend in milk.
- Add flour and whisk until slightly lumpy.
- Pour batter over cherries and place dishes in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the tarts are golden and puffy. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sugar over the top of each and bake for 5 additional minutes.
- Cool dishes on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Recipe credit: National Cherry Growers Foundation