Cherry Nut Crisp
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- Drain cherries, reserving 3/4 cup juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use).
- In a bowl, combine cherries, sugar, tapioca, extract, salt, food coloring if desired and remaining juice; set aside for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine crust ingredients. Press onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a greased 9-inch square baking dish; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine first 4 topping ingredients; cut in butter until mixture resembled coarse crumbs.
- Stir cherry mixture; pour into crust Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
Yield: 9 servings
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine 6/22/01 6:53:38 am.