Basic Baked Piecrust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry
blender until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Mix egg yolk, 3 tablespoons ice water and the lemon juice in small bowl. Add to
flour mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring lightly and tossing
with fork until moistened and dough just holds together.
- Add remaining ice water, if needed. Gather dough and shape into 1-inch thick disk.
Refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, rolling
from center to edge, to form a 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters;
ease and unfold into 9-inch pie plate. Press pastry gently against
bottom and sides of pie plate, easing out any air. Trim edge leaving
1/2-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; flute edge.
- Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Line piecrust with aluminum foil; fill with pie weights.
- Bake at 425 degrees F until pastry is set, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove foil and weights; pierce pastry all over with fork.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes longer.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Makes: 1 crust (9-inch)
Shortcut: Pastry dough can be made in food processor.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
American Egg Board.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pie Pastry Recipes