Cheddar Cheese Pie Crust
This is a wonderful pastry for apple pie!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Sift flour and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream Cheddar cheese
and butter until smooth.
- Gently mix shortening into cheese mixture
until slightly combined.
- Cut flour into cheese mixture by hand until
mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Dissolve salt and sugar in ice
water, and gradually add water to cheese mixture. Mix by hand until
firm ball is formed. Do not over-mix.
- Divide dough into 2 balls,
seal in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling
- When chilled, roll each ball out to about 1/8-inch thickness on
a lightly floured surface, to a size 2 inches larger than the pan
into which it will be fitted (or cut dough into whatever size or
shape desired). After bottom crust is fitted into pan, trim edges
and finish as directed.