Cheddar Cheese Pie Crust
Cheddar Cheese Pie Crust is a wonderful pastry for apple pie!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Sift flour and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream Cheddar cheese and butter until smooth.
- Gently mix shortening into cheese mixture until slightly combined.
- Cut flour into cheese mixture by hand until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Dissolve salt and sugar in ice water, and gradually add water to cheese mixture. Mix by hand until firm ball is formed. Do not over-mix.
- Divide dough into 2 balls, seal in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes before rolling
- When chilled, roll each ball out to about 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface, to a size 2 inches larger than the pan into which it will be fitted (or cut dough into whatever size or shape desired). After bottom crust is fitted into pan, trim edges and finish as directed.