Cinnamon Pastry Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup walnuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons (or more) ice water or chilled dark creme de cacao
- Blend flour, nuts, sugar, cinnamon and salt in processor until nuts
are coarsely ground.
- Add chilled butter and vegetable shortening.
Using on/off turns, process until coarse crumbs form.
- Add 2 tablespoons
ice water or chilled creme de cacao. Process dough until small moist
clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonsful if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap dough disk in plastic.
- Refrigerate until cold enough to roll out, about 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on floured work surface to 12-inch round. Transfer
dough to 9-inch diameter glass pie dish. Press dough into dish.
Fold overhang under. Crimp edges decoratively.
- Cover and chill until
cold, about 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Yield: one 9-inch crust
Source: Bon Appetit - November 1999