Graham Cracker Crust
Crumb crusts are often used with pies such as cream, chiffon and cheese as well as other no-bake pies. The crust shown is before it has been baked.
Prep: 15 min | Bake: 8 to 10 min | Yield: 1 (9 inch) crust
- 1 1/2 cups (about 4 ounces) Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (2/3 stick) butter, room temperature
- Graham cracker crumbs: If using whole Graham crackers, process in blender or food processor, or place in plastic bag, seal bag and crush with rolling pin or flat side of meat pounder.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix Graham cracker crumbs and sugar in medium bowl.
- Add butter; mix until thoroughly blended.
- Press crumb mixture evenly and firmly against bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until center is firm to the touch and edge is lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Graham Cracker Nut Crumb Crust: Substitute 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) ground almonds, pecans or walnuts for 1/2 cup of the Graham cracker crumbs.
Chocolate Crumb Crust: Substitute 1 1/2 cups fine chocolate wafer crumbs for Graham cracker crumbs; omit sugar.
Photo credit: Stacy Spensley on Visualhunt /