Oregon Fruit Pies
- 1 (16.5 ounce) can Royal Anne Cherries*, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- Oil or shortening (for frying)
- Filling: Mix cornstarch and sugar in medium saucepan.
- Add cherries with juice.
Bring to boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Boil 3 to 4
minutes or until sauce becomes transparent. Set aside to cool slightly
while making pastry.
- Pastry: Combine flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening to make coarse crumbles.
- Mix in water with fork until dough holds together.
- Shape into ball and divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece on lightly floured surface
to a 5-inch round. Place scant 1/4 cup filling on each round circle
(do one at a time). Fold over and crimp edge with fork (some juice
will leak out).
- Heat 1 1/2 inches oil to 375 degrees F.
- Gently place a few pies at a time into hot oil with slotted pancake
turner. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel. Dust with confectioner' sugar when cool.
If you prefer not to fry these pies, you can also bake at 375 degrees
F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with milk before baking.
* One 16.5 ounce can dark sweet cherries or berries can be substituted.