Apple Caramel Pie
This apple pie has the gooey goodness of caramel, and the sweet lusciousness
of brown sugar and cinnamon. It tastes best warm, and with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups
apples, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a pie dish with a single crust pie dough. Set aside.
- For the pie base: In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, 3 tablespoons
flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add the apples and toss until coated.
- For the pie topping: Stir together the brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and oats. With
a fork, your fingers, or a pastry blender, add in the butter until it is in coarse
- Evenly place the apples into the pie shell. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the
- Drape a piece of aluminum foil over the pie (to prevent burning). Place in the
oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes, until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with caramel sauce. Cool on a wire rack.
Source: Old Fashioned Kitchen