Apple Ruffle Phyllo Pie
With its flaky phyllo swirl topping, this pie is one you can’t quite take your eyes off of.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (9 x 14-inch) roll Athens® Phyllo Dough, thawed
- 2 medium Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 medium MacIntosh Apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- Thaw one roll of phyllo, following thawing instructions on package. Heat
oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 cup sugar, flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg, heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Blend sugar mixture into egg mixture.
- In a separate small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon
cinnamon and cardamom and set aside.
- Brush a 9-inch pie pan with melted butter.
- Unroll and cover phyllo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp
towel to prevent drying out. Place two sheets of phyllo in pie pan, gently
pressing down and with excess evenly hanging over either side. Lightly brush
with melted butter and sprinkle with a little sugar mixture. Lay 2 more
sheets of phyllo across the first two making a plus sign. Lightly brush with
butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Lay 2 phyllo sheets diagonally
across pan, brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Lay 2 sheets
of phyllo diagonally opposite, brush with butter. The phyllo in the pan
should now resemble spokes on a wheel.
- Place apple slices on top of phyllo. Pour egg/sugar mixture over apples.
Brush excess phyllo hanging over pan with butter, roll and tuck the phyllo
to form a pie crust edge. Brush completed edge with butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While pie is baking, place one sheet of phyllo horizontally on work
surface. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Fold down 1/3
of phyllo and fold up 1/3 of phyllo resulting in a strip about 3 x 11
inches. Scrunch phyllo up from side to side forming a loose ball about 3
inches in diameter. Repeat this process with 11 more sheets of phyllo.
- Remove pie from oven. Carefully and gently press 8 phyllo “balls” around
inside perimeter of pie and remaining 4 in the center. Brush with remaining
butter and sprinkle remaining sugar mixture.
- Bake for additional 45 minutes or until golden.
- Place on a cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing.
Yield: 1 pie | Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 65 min
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Athens Foods, Inc.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.