Blue Ribbon Cherry Pie
This won the Mississippi Cherry Pie Contest in 1962.
Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 1/2 cup cherry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon
- 3 cups drained canned cherries (reserve liquid)
- 2 1/4 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg white
- Filling: Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in butter.
- Combine cherry juice, food coloring, almond extract, and lemon juice. Add
this mixture to dry ingredients.
- Add cherries and let stand while preparing pastry.
- Pastry: Sift flour with salt and sugar. Cut in 1/2 shortening until mixture
resembles cornmeal. Cut in other 1/2 until mixture resembles large peas.
- Beat egg yolk and lemon juice together. Blend in juice and milk. Add to
dry ingredients, tossing with a fork into a soft dough. Form into a ball. Divide
ball into halves. Roll first half to 1/8-inch thickness.
- After putting dough
into pie pan, brush bottom with egg white. Roll second half out and cut into
strips to make lattice top.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; fill with cherry mixture.
- Make lattice
top; flute edges. Cut a 3-inch strip of aluminum foil and fold loosely around
the edge of the pie.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes.