Bumbleberry Pie is from Canada. Bumbleberries don't exist. Bumbleberry is a combination of berries. Sometimes
chopped apples and rhubarb are added to the filling. Use whatever combination you like as long as the fruit equals 4 cups.
- Double pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1 1/3 cups fresh raspberries*
- 1 1/3 cups fresh blueberries*
- 1 1/3 cups fresh blackberries*
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar (aka sanding sugar) or 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
* If you desire to use frozen berries instead, purchase a large back of
frozen mixed berries and use four cups.
- If using a homemade pie crust: On a sheet of lightly floured waxed paper, roll the larger half of the dough pastry into a 13-inch circle with a floured rolling pin. Invert the pastry over a 9 1/2-inch deep dish pie pan; center and peel off the paper. Tuck pastry into pan, without stretching it. Sculpt and flute edge into an upstanding ridge. Place in freezer for 15
minutes; also place remaining unrolled pastry in the freezer.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the berries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl; toss gently to mix. Add flour; toss gently again. Turn the filling into the chilled pie shell, smoothing the top of the fruit with a spoon. Dot the top of the filling with the butter.
- Cut lattice strips from the second pie crust or, if using a homemade crust, roll out and cut lattice strips. Weave the lattice strips over the top of the pie.. Sprinkle the coarse sugar over the top.
- Bake pie on the center rack for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F and rotate pie 180 degrees so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces forward. Slide a foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any spills. Bake until
the top is golden brown and the juices bubble thickly around the edge, 25-30 minutes.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack; let cool at least 2 hours before serving.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.