Candy Apple Pie
- 1 1/2 cups Graham
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 5 Granny Smith apples (remove peel and core
and slice very thin)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Cream Cheese Topping
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Crust: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
Mix well and press into a 10-inch pie plate, and up the sides.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes
until golden in color.
- Remove pie shell from oven and cool completely.
- Pour caramel
into pie shell and sprinkle with 1 cup of chopped pecans.
- Refrigerate pie shell
while making apple filling.
- Apple Filling: In a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat, melt butter and
add brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a wooden spoon.
- Add apples and stir.
Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes until apples are softened
- Let cool for 10 minutes and pour into pie shell.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream Cheese Topping: In a medium bowl, using a hand held mixer on low speed,
combine cream cheese and sugar for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Add egg, lemon juice
and vanilla extract and beat from 1 more minute until bully blended. Pour over apple filling
in pie shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Remove pie from oven and let cool.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Let stand outside the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- Topping: Top with whipped cream, caramel and pecans and swirl with a knife.
- Slice and serve.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 29, 2001.