Cheddar Crust Apple Pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 5 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cheddar Crunch Topping
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- Pie: In a mixing bowl, stir together 1 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cut in the shortening to the size of small peas. Stir in cheese.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; toss with a fork. Repeat until all is moistened. Form into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to form a 12-inch circle. Ease into
a 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate; fold under pastry. Finish edge. Do not prick pastry.
- In a bowl, combine apples, sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Transfer to crust.
- Prepare topping. Sprinkle over filling. Cover edge with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove foil.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, until top is golden and fruit is tender.
- Cheddar Crunch Topping: In a bowl, stir together sugar, flour and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Gently stir in Cheddar cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.