Cheddar Crust Apple Pie
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 5 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cheddar Crunch Topping
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- In a mixing bowl, stir together 1 cup flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cut in the
shortening to the size of small peas. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the
water over part of the mixture; toss with a fork. Repeat until all is moistened.
Form into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to form a 12-inch circle. Ease into
a 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate; fold under pastry. Finish
edge. Do not prick pastry.
- In a bowl, combine apples, sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Transfer to crust.
- Prepare topping. Sprinkle over filling. Cover edge with foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove foil.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes more,
until top is golden and fruit is tender.
- Cheddar Crunch Topping: In a bowl, stir together sugar, flour and salt.
- Cut in butter or margarine until mixture is crumbly.
- Gently stir in Cheddar cheese.