Deep Dish Berry Pie
- 3 cups fresh blueberries*, washed and drained
- 2 cups fresh red raspberries*
- 1 cup fresh black raspberries*
- 2 cups fresh strawberries*, washed, hulled, and halved if large
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced lemon zest
- 1/3 cup blackberry brandy
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
The combinations of berries can vary according to taste and availability,
but in any case should equal 8 cups.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the berries. Sprinkle with the lemon juice, zest, and brandy. Toss gently to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, tapioca, and sugar, and toss the mixture gently with the fruit. Pour the berry mixture into a 1 1/2-quart ovenproof baking dish, and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to 1/8 inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut out a circle about 2 inches larger than the baking dish. Brush the circle lightly with the egg wash. Place the pastry, wash side down, over the berry filled baking dish, and stretch it tight, like the head of a drum. Press the overhanging dough against the sides of the dish; it should adhere all around. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- When ready to bake, brush the top with egg wash and bake for 15 minutes; reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 25 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden. Do not open the oven door for the first 20 minutes or the pastry may fall.
- Remove the dish from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine 5/17/02 6:09:47 am.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.