Gold Medal® Fresh Strawberry Pie
Just like what you see in the bakery window, except you made it yourself!
- 1 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 quarts (6 cups) strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Red food color, if desired
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening, using pastry blender
(or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until
particles are size of small peas. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at
a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans
side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if necessary).
- Gather pastry into a ball. Shape into flattened round on lightly floured
surface. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is
firm and cold, yet pliable. This allows the shortening to become slightly firm,
which helps make the baked pastry more flaky. If refrigerated longer, let pastry
soften slightly before rolling.
- Heat oven to 475 degrees F. With floured rolling pin, roll pastry into round
2 inches larger than upside-down 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold pastry into fourths;
place in pie plate. Unfold and ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom
and side. Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate. Fold
and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired. Prick bottom and side
of pastry thoroughly with fork.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown. Cool
on cooling rack.
- In small bowl, mash enough strawberries to measure 1 cup.
- In 2-quart saucepan,
mix sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in 1/2 cup water and mashed strawberries
(add 1 or 2 drops food color if deeper red color is desired). Cook over medium
heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese and lemon peel until smooth. Spread evenly
in pie crust. Top with remaining strawberries. Pour cooked strawberry mixture
- Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- Store in refrigerator.
Prep Time 40 min | Total Time 4 hr 35 min | Servings 8
To mash strawberries with ease, use the pulsing feature of your blender or food
For a double strawberry hit, use 3 ounces of soft cream cheese with strawberries
in place of the regular cream cheese.
Use Betty Crocker® pie crust mix for the scratch pie crust in this recipe and
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving Calories 320 (Calories from Fat 125 ), %
Daily Value Total Fat 14 g 14 % (Saturated Fat 5 g, 5 % ), Cholesterol 15 mg 15
%; Sodium 180 mg 180 %; Total Carbohydrate 48 g 48 % (Dietary Fiber 3 g 3 % ), Protein
3 g 3 %
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 52%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Betty Crocker
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.