Green Tomato Pie
- 6 large green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large lemon, peeled
- 1 1/2
cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- Slice tomatoes and stir in salt. Let stand at least 1 hour. Drain off all juice.
- Make enough pie crust for a double crust pie. Sprinkle a little of the flour, sugar
and nutmeg mixture in the bottom crust. Arrange slices of tomato in pan to heaping
- Slice the peeled lemon on top of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the
sugar and flour with nutmeg on top. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust.
at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F and bake
for 45 to 55 minutes longer.
May be served hot or cold.