Lemon Blossom Pie
Refreshingly tangy—a C&H® Sugar traditional favorite.
- 1 cup C&H® Baker's Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water, boiling
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons
lemon rind, finely grated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (2-3 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Prepared pie crust, 9-inch baked
- 3 egg whites (from separated eggs above)
- 1 pinch
cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup C&H® Baker's Sugar
- Pie: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch
and salt. Gradually stir in water and cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes
until mixture is clear and thickened.
- Remove from heat. Combine egg yolks, rind and juice; stir into hot mixture.
Cook, stirring constantly 3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Pour into prepared crust. Swirl Meringue over pie, sealing to crust.
- Bake for
12-14 minutes until golden.
- Meringue: In large glass or metal bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar
until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff and glossy peaks form. Swirl
over pie before baking.
Lime Blossom Pie: Substitute lime rind and juice for lemon.
Reprinted with permission from
C&H Sugar, Inc.