Midwest Tart Cherry Pie
This beautiful lattice-topped cherry and cream cheese crust pie is kissed with a touch of almond.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans pitted tart cherries in water, undrained
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 ounces (3/4 of 8-ounce package) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid. Mix 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Add cherries and reserved liquid; stir. Cook on medium-high heat 12 min. or until mixture comes to boil; cook until thickened, stirring
constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute; cool completely. Stir in extract.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gradually add flour, mixing well after each addition. (Dough will be crumbly.) Shape into 2 balls; flatten slightly. Roll out half the dough on floured surface to 11-inch circle; place in 9-inch pie plate. Fill with cherry mixture.
- Roll out remaining dough to 11-inch circle; cut into 10 (1/2-inch-wide) strips. Reserve remaining dough for garnish. Weave strips over filling to make lattice design. (See tip.) Fold edge of bottom crust over ends of strips. Cut remaining dough into shapes with small cookie cutters; arrange on pie. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is hot and bubbly and crust is golden brown.
Prep Time 30 min | Yield: 10 servings
How to Prepare with Fresh or Frozen Tart Cherries: Substitute 3 1/2 cups fresh,
or thawed frozen, tart cherries for the canned cherries. Pit cherries; place in
colander over bowl. Drain, reserving juice. Add enough water to reserved juice to
measure 1 cup. Use to prepare filling as directed.
Nutritional Information: Serving Size 10 servings; Amount per Serving Calories
400 % Daily Value Total fat 20g Saturated fat 12g Cholesterol 60mg Sodium 190mg
Carbohydrate 52g Dietary fiber 2g Sugars 25g Protein 5g
Vitamin A 25 % DV Vitamin C 4% DV Calcium 4% DV Iron 8% DV
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions
as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes
only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation,
origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Kraft Heinz Company
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.