Midwest Tart Cherry Pie
This beautiful lattice-topped cherry and cream cheese pie is kissed with a touch of almond.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans pitted tart cherries in water, undrained
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 ounces (3/4 of 8-ounce package) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid. Mix 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in
medium saucepan. Add cherries and reserved liquid; stir. Cook on medium-high
heat 12 min. or until mixture comes to boil; cook until thickened, stirring
constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute; cool completely. Stir in extract.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl with
mixer until blended. Gradually add flour, mixing well after each addition. (Dough
will be crumbly.) Shape into 2 balls; flatten slightly. Roll out half the dough
on floured surface to 11-inch circle; place in 9-inch pie plate. Fill with cherry
- Roll out remaining dough to 11-inch circle; cut into 10 (1/2-inch-wide)
strips. Reserve remaining dough for garnish. Weave strips over filling to make
lattice design. (See tip.) Fold edge of bottom crust over ends of strips. Cut
remaining dough into shapes with small cookie cutters; arrange on pie. Sprinkle
with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is hot and bubbly and crust is
Prep Time 30 min | Yield: 10 servings
How to Prepare with Fresh or Frozen Tart Cherries: Substitute 3 1/2 cups fresh,
or thawed frozen, tart cherries for the canned cherries. Pit cherries; place in
colander over bowl. Drain, reserving juice. Add enough water to reserved juice to
measure 1 cup. Use to prepare filling as directed.
Nutritional Information: Serving Size 10 servings; Amount per Serving Calories
400 % Daily Value Total fat 20g Saturated fat 12g Cholesterol 60mg Sodium 190mg
Carbohydrate 52g Dietary fiber 2g Sugars 25g Protein 5g
Vitamin A 25 % DV Vitamin C 4% DV Calcium 4% DV Iron 8% DV
* Nutrition information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions
as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes
only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation,
origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Kraft Foods - kraftrecipes.com
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Pie Recipes