This is a relative of mince pie, but is a lot better.
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening, chilled
- 2 tablespoons sunsalted butter, chilled, cut into bits
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or pecan pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons sour-mash whiskey, such as Jack Daniels
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 2 teaspoons sour-mash whiskey and 2 tablespoons sugar
- Sweet Crust: Sift together flour, salt and sugar. Remove 1/3 cup of this,
place in a small bowl, and add ice water. Stir to make a paste, and set aside.
- Add shortening and butter to the remaining flour and cut in with 2 knives
or a pastry blender. Combine with the paste, and mix until dough can be shaped
into a ball. Place ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and flatten slightly.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. Place in a 9-inch pie pan,
and trim, leaving 1/2 inch all around. Fold edge under and then crimp.
- Filling: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss flour, raisins and pecans in a bowl to coat well. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add whiskey, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg
and allspice. Mix well, then add the floured nut-raisin mixture.
- Beat egg whites with the salt until stiff. Gently fold whites into the nut
mixture. Mound filling into the pie crust and smooth the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until puffed and set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with a dollop of spiked whipped
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.