Osgood Pie is a relative of mince pie, but is a lot better.
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening, chilled
- 2 tablespoons sunsalted butter, chilled, cut into bits
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or pecan pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons sour-mash whiskey, such as Jack Daniels
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 2 teaspoons sour-mash whiskey and 2 tablespoons sugar
- Sweet Crust: Sift together flour, salt and sugar. Remove 1/3 cup of this,
place in a small bowl, and add ice water. Stir to make a paste, and set aside.
- Add shortening and butter to the remaining flour and cut in with 2 knives or a pastry blender. Combine with the paste, and mix until dough can be shaped into a ball. Place ball of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper and flatten slightly.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface. Place in a 9-inch pie pan, and trim, leaving 1/2 inch all around. Fold edge under and then crimp.
- Filling: Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss flour, raisins and pecans in a bowl to coat well. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add whiskey, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Mix well, then add the floured nut-raisin mixture.
- Beat egg whites with the salt until stiff. Gently fold whites into the nut mixture. Mound filling into the pie crust and smooth the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until puffed and set.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with a dollop of spiked whipped cream.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.