Paper Bag Apple Pie
- 3 to 4 large baking apples (about 2 1/2 pounds or 7 cups),peeled, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 cup granulated sugar (divided)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (9- to 11-inch) unbaked pastry shell
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 large, unused brown paper bag
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss apples with 1/2 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons of the flour and the
nutmeg. Spoon into pastry shell and drizzle with lemon juice.
- To make topping, combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup remaining flour
and the butter. Cut with two knives until mixture is combined and crumbly. Sprinkle
over apples, covering entire top.
- Slide pie into heavy brown paper bag large enough to cover pie loosely.
Fold open end over twice and staple to fasten securely. Place on large cookie
sheet. Do not let paper bag come into contact with sides of stove.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and split bag open. Remove pie and cool on wire rack.
- Serve with Cheddar cheese or ice cream.
Yield: 8 servings
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.