This is a wonderful way to prepare pie the old-fashioned way in a cast iron skillet.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk
- 8 fresh peaches
- Sift flour; measure and add salt and baking powder. Sift again.
- Cut in shortening as for pastry.
- Add milk all at once, just enough to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and roll a round piece 1/4 inch thick and several inches larger
in diameter than the skillet used.
- Place dough in bottom of skillet, letting edges
hang over the outside.
- Fill with sliced peaches and sprinkle with a mixture
of 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon flour.
- Dot with butter.
- Fold edges toward center to partially cover the pie. Leave center of pie uncovered.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.