Rustic Cherry Apple Pie
Sweet cherries and tart apples combine for a delicious twist on the traditional
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water
Cherry Apple Filling
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups Fuji, Gala or Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup dark sweet or tart cherries*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Crust: In a bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender,
cut butter cubes into flour mixture until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle vinegar
over flour mixture, tossing with a fork. Sprinkle 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water,
1 tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture, tossing with a fork each time until
dough is moistened and crumbly. Gather dough into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap
in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Cherry Apple Filling: Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, stir together sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add apples to cinnamon
sugar mixture; mix thoroughly. Add cherries and lemon juice; mix thoroughly. Place
filling in center of crust, dot with butter. Bring pastry up and 2 to 3 inches over
the filling, overlap or pleat and gather folds in the dough; gently press together
- Streusel Topping: Stir together flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly;
sprinkle over apples and butter.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Remove to wire rack and cool.
Makes 1 pie
* May use fresh cherries with pits removed; OR frozen cherries, thawed and drained
OR canned cherries, drained.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Pie Recipes