Strawberry Icebox Pie
with Almond Crust
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 5 cups quartered hulled strawberries, divided
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peal
- 1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
- Crust: Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch
glass pie dish.
- Coarsely chop almonds in processor. Add Graham cracker crumbs and sugar; process
until finely ground. Add butter; process until evenly moistened. Press crumb mixture
onto bottom and up sides of prepared pie dish.
- Bake crust until set, about 12 minutes.
- Cool completely on rack.
- Filling: Place 2 cups strawberries in medium saucepan. Mash strawberries with
potato masher until chunky. Add sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Stir over medium-high
heat until sugar dissolves and mixture boils and thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups strawberries and grated orange peel. Mound filling in
- Chill pie until cold and set, at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream in large bowl until peaks form. Spread whipped
cream decoratively over filling.
- Cut pie into wedges and serve.
Source: Bon Appetit - April 2003
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Pie Recipes