Strawberry Raspberry Chiffon Pie
The proportions in this recipe are based on 2 large egg whites. Although the
package directions for both dried egg whites and meringue powder suggest using 2
teaspoons of the mixture as the equivalent of 1 egg white, you need 1 tablespoon
dried egg whites or meringue powder and 3 tablespoons water to equal 1 large egg
white. (This recipe was tested with large eggs.)
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dried egg
whites or meringue powder (see notes above)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
baked pie crust
- Rinse and drain strawberries and raspberries. Set aside several perfect berries.
- In a blender, blend remaining berries until smooth.
- In a 2 to 3 quart pan, mix gelatin with 1/3 cup sugar.
- Place a fine strainer over pan and push berry puree through it, discarding seeds.
Stir mixture over high heat just until boiling, about 2 minutes. Let cool to room
temperature, about 20 minutes ( or you can place pan in ice water and stir frequently
until cool but still liquid, 2 to 4 minutes). Stir in lemon juice.
- In a deep bowl, combine dried egg whites with 6 tablespoons water (dissolve
as directed on package). With a mixer on high speed, whip whites to a thick foam.
Continue beating while gradually adding remaining sugar until whites hold their
- In another bowl, with unwashed beaters, whip cream on high speed until it holds
soft peaks. Fold cream into berry mixture, then fold in the whipped egg whites until
most of the streaks are blended in.
- If mixture is not thick enough to hold soft mounds, nest bowl in ice water and
gently fold occasionally for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour filling into pie crust, cover in an airtight container that will not touch
the filling. Chill until firm enough to cut, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days. Garnish
with reserved berries.
- Prep and cooking time is about 40 minutes, plus at least 3 hours to chill.
Posted by bettyboop50 at Recipe Goldmine May 9, 2001.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Fruit Pie Recipes