Strawberry Raspberry Lattice Pie
The sweetness of strawberries and raspberries makes a juicy and flavorful filling
for this lattice-topped pie. The bright red color of berries peeks through the topping
just enough to see the fruit juices bubbling and thickening as it bakes.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 5 to 7 tablespoons
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 package (16 ounces or 3 cups each) Driscoll's
- 1 package (6 ounces or 1 1/3 cups) Driscoll's Raspberries
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brandy or 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Crust: Place flour and salt in bowl of a food processor and pulse until
combined. Add butter and shortening and pulse until mixture resembles coarse
crumbs. Add water, one tablespoon at a time and pulse just until dough comes
together (be careful to not over mix). Pat dough into 2 disks (one slightly
larger than the other) and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out larger disk of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch
circle. Gently transfer dough to 9 1/2-inch pie plate. Leave edges untrimmed
and set aside in the refrigerator.
- Filling: Berries are best if prepared just prior to completing pie. Hull
strawberries and cut in quarters if large or cut in half if smaller. Place strawberries,
raspberries, sugar, cornstarch and brandy in a large bowl and stir until combined.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out smaller disk of dough into an 11-inch
circle. With a pastry cutter or knife, cut dough into 12 strips (about 3/4-inch-wide
each). Remove pie shell from refrigerator. Fill with berry mixture and dot with
- Assembly: Lay 6 dough strips across filling. Fold back every other strip
slightly more than halfway. Place one strip perpendicular to the others and
unfold strips back down. Fold back alternate
- strips and place another strip
over filling. Unfold strips and repeat with remaining pastry strips until you
have weaved a lattice pattern. Trim ends of strips and fold over with overhang
- from pie shell. Crimp to form decorative pattern. Brush crust with
beaten egg yolk.
- Place a sheet of aluminum foil under pie to catch any drippings.
- Bakefor 45 to 50 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
- Let cool on a wire rack at least 2 hours.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Use vanilla extract if you don't have brandy.
Recipe and photograph provided used with permission from
Driscoll Strawberry Associates, Inc.