Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with
Almond Streusel Topping
Our Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Almond Streusel Topping sports a crunchy
topping with distinct almond notes.
Along with tulips and daffodils, rhubarb is the first thing to pop in many spring
gardens. And rhubarb means pie. The classic combination of strawberries and rhubarb
makes our mouths water.
We recommend a mealy piecrust for the bottom of this juicy pie. Mealy crust is
made by cutting the fat into the dough until it resembles cornmeal. This crust resists
getting soggy as would a crust made from flaky pie dough. The topping is a variation
of one we use for fruit crumble or crisp. In fact, you could make this without a
bottom crust to be scooped and served in a bowl with ice cream on top.
- 1 3/4 cups (8 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening or additional butter
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 3 cups sliced strawberries, about 1 quart
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced into 1-inch pieces, about 1 pound trimmed
- 1/3 cup minute tapioca
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Love’n Bake® Almond Paste, grated
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- Ice cream or sour cream for garnish
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pie Crust: Combine the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor
fitted with the metal blade. Cut the butter into several pieces. Add the butter and shortening to the bowl of the food processor. Blend until the mixture resembles cornmeal, about 15 to 20 seconds. Add the ice water and pulse several times until the mixture begins to come together into a smooth ball of dough.
- Gather the dough together. Form it into a flat disk. Wrap it in plastic and chill it for an hour or more before using.
- Filling: Combine the sliced strawberries, rhubarb, tapioca, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir to blend the ingredients. Let sit for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to distribute the tapioca and sugar.
- Make the Topping while the filling rests.
- Topping: Combine the rolled oats, flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Stir in the grated Love’n Bake® Almond Paste. Add the melted butter and stir until the mixture is thoroughly moistened.
- Roll out the crust 1/3 to 1/4-inch thick on a well-floured surface. Drape the crust over a 10-inch pie pan. Trim leaving a 1/2-inch of dough hanging over the edge. Fold over the edge of the dough and crimp. (Save the extra dough for a small pie or quiche shell.)
- Fill the pie with the fruit filling. Scatter the streusel evenly over the top of the fruit covering it evenly.
- Bake the pie for 45 to 55 minutes until the topping and crust are evenly browned and the filling is bubbling in several places.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving with ice cream or a spoon of sour cream.
Yield: one 10-inch pie
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Love'n Bake® - American Almond
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.