Streusel-Topped Apple Pie
There is nothing comparable to the pairing of apples and cheddar cheese!
- 1 package pie crust mix (2 crusts)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese,
- 4 cups (about 3 pounds) tart apples, sliced
- 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare one pie crust (1/2 package) according to package directions. Work 1 cup
of the Wisconsin Cheddar into crust. Roll dough and line pie plate.
- Place apples in pastry-lined plate, sprinkling flour and nutmeg evenly over.
- To prepare topping, combine remaining package of the pie crust mix, sugar and
cinnamon. Thoroughly cut in butter. Cover apples with half of topping. Sprinkle
with 1 cup Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese and top with remaining topping.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until apples are tender.
Reprinted with permission from
Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.