Taffy Apple Bits o' Brickle Pie
- Pastry for a double-crust pie
- 6 cups (6 or 7) cooking apples, sliced
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces (1 cup) Heath bits 'o brickle
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Toss apples with sugar and 2 tablespoons flour. Arrange 1/2 the apples in pastry-lined
pie pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 the Heath bits, and top with the remaining sliced apples.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, brown sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Cut
in butter until mixture resembles crumbs. Stir in walnuts, then sprinkle over apples.
- Roll remaining pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 1 1/2 to 2-inch leaf-shape
cutter, cut out about 20 shapes. Place cut-outs around the edge of the pie (dampen
edge of pastry with water to keep cut-outs in place. Brush pastry with egg. Cover pie LOOSELY with foil.
- Bake the pie at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and sprinkle with remaining Heath bits.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes more, uncovered, or until apples are tender, and the topping is
- Cool on a wire rack.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.