Coconut Almond Macaroon Pie
This version of a coconut macaroon in pie form has a buttery coconut center with
crunchy almonds baked into a prepared pie shell and topped with fresh raspberries,
a simple semi-sweet chocolate sauce and more toasted, chopped almonds. Its colorful
and festive for the holidays.
- 1 cup whole natural almonds
- 1 (9-inch) prepared deep
dish pie crust, unthawed
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups flaked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 cup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs, slightly
- 1 cup fresh red raspberries
Almond Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Coconut Almond Macaroon Pie: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roughly chop almonds and place in bottom of pie shell.
- Combine melted butter, coconut, salt, almond milk, flour, sugar, almond extract
and slightly beaten eggs in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir. Pour coconut mixture
into pie crust, covering almonds.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until firm. Cool.
- Slice, plate and top with Almond Chocolate Sauce, slivered almonds and fresh
- Almond Chocolate Sauce: Place chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl.
- In a small
saucepan bring the heavy cream just to a boil. Pour boiling hot cream mixture over
chocolate chips and whisk until the sauce is smooth.
- Stir in almond extract and
serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheat to serve.
Yield: 10 servings
Nutritional Info: Calories 500; Fat 32 g; Sat Fat 16 g; Mono Fat 12 g; Poly
Fat 3 g; Protein 7 g; Carb 51 g; Fiber 4 g; Cholesterol 75 mg; Sodium 200 mg; Calcium
67 mg; Potassium 273 mg; Vitamin E 4.8 mg*
* Total Alpha-Tocopherol Equivalents
Reprinted with permission from
the Almond Board of California.