- 1/4 cup very cold water
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 3/4 ounces shortening, cubed and very cold
- 1 1/2 ounces unsalted butter, cubed and very cold
- 1 1/3 cup roasted, unsalted pistachio kernels
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted pistachio kernels coarselychopped by hand, set aside
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Crust: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine ingredients in the
order they are listed, starting with water in the bowl first. Using a paddle attachment,
mix until all ingredients are combined and a nice dough has been formed.
dough from the mixer, wrap in clear plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for
at least one hour.
- Once chilled, roll on a well-floured surface into a circle for a 9-inch pie pan.
- Filling: Pulse the pistachios in a food processor until very coarsely
chopped (some of the pistachio will be mealy and the remainder will be coarse).
Turn pistachios into a mixing bowl, add all other ingredients and combine with a
spatula until fully incorporated.
- Fill an unbaked pie shell with the pistachio mixture, smooth the top with a spatula,
and bake at 350 degrees for 60-70 minutes on a lower rack in the oven, sprinkling
the remaining pistachios on top about 2/3 through the baking process. Test for doneness
by inserting a clean knife or wooden pick in the center—it should come out clean and
the filling should not jiggle. The top will be deep golden. If the crust begins
to brown before the pie filling is set, cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake
- Serve slightly warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Yield: one 9-inch pie
By: Chef Lauren Mitterer
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
American Pistachio Growers
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Nut Pie Recipes