When brunch is served, a classic quiche often finds its place on the table. This
particular quiche offers a delicate balance of asparagus, cheese, and egg, baked
in a buttery, flaky crust that’s sure to satiate the most discriminating tastes.
A touch of curry and cayenne pepper give it an extraordinary flavor and subtle bite.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Challenge Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 - 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, cleaned and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (2-2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons Challenge Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces (1 1/4 cups) shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Pastry: Combine flour and salt in a food processor bowl with steel blade and
blend for 8 seconds (or whisk together in a large bowl).
- Cut in butter by pulsing
8 times with food processor (or use a pastry cutter), until mixture resembles coarse
meal. Do not over blend.
- Add water and mix just until dough comes together. Put dough in a plastic bag
and chill 30 minutes.
- Roll on a lightly floured board and fit pastry into an 11-inch tart pan with
removable bottom. Chill until ready to fill.
- Filling: Blanch asparagus for 4-5 minutes in boiling water, cool in ice water,
drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small sauté-pan over medium heat.
- Add curry and cayenne pepper; cook one minute.
- Sauté onion in curry butter until soft and most of the moisture
has evaporated; set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl beat, eggs, milk and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle cheese into chilled pastry shell. Spread onion mixture and asparagus
over the cheese. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until custard is set and golden.
40 min Prep Time
35 min Cook Time
Nutritional Info: Total Calories: 420, Calories from Fat:258, Total Fat:
28.7g, Saturated Fat:16.9g, Cholesterol: 210mg, Sodium: 796mg, Total Carbohydrate:
26.2g, Dietary Fiber: 2.5g, Sugars: 3.9g, Protein: 15.9g
Source: Challenge Home Economist
Reprinted with permission from
Challenge Dairy - challengedairy.com.