When brunch is served, a classic quiche often finds its place on the table. This Asparagus Quiche offers a delicate balance of asparagus, cheese, and egg, baked in a buttery, flaky crust that’s sure to satiate the most discriminating tastes. A touch of curry and cayenne pepper give it an extraordinary flavor and subtle bite.
Prep: 40 min | Bake: 35 min | Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Challenge Unsalted Butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 to 1 pound fresh asparagus spears, cleaned and cut into 3/4 inch pieces (2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons Challenge Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces (1 1/4 cups) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor bowl with steel blade and blend for 8 seconds (or whisk together in a large bowl).
- Cut in butter by pulsing 8 times with food processor (or use a pastry cutter), until mixture resembles coarse meal. Do not over blend.
- Add water and mix just until dough comes together. Put dough in a plastic bag and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll on a lightly floured board and fit pastry into an 11 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Chill until ready to fill.
- Blanch asparagus for 4 to 5 minutes in boiling water, cool in ice water, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add curry and cayenne pepper; cook one minute.
- Sauté onion in curry butter until soft and most of the moisture has evaporated; set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl beat, eggs, milk and salt.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle cheese into chilled pastry shell. Spread onion mixture and asparagus over the cheese. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until custard is set and golden.
Per serving: Total Calories: 420, Calories from Fat:258, Total Fat: 28.7g, Saturated Fat:16.9g, Cholesterol: 210mg, Sodium: 796mg, Total Carbohydrate: 26.2g, Dietary Fiber: 2.5g, Sugars: 3.9g, Protein: 15.9g
Recipe and photo used with permission from: