Cherry Vanilla Slab Pie
This tender, flaky pastry is filled with delicious sweet cherries and accented with vanilla. Cherry Vanilla Slab Pie will feed a crowd... and, who doesn't love pie?
Tip: Fold dough into thirds or roll around a rolling pin to transfer it, after trimming, to the baking sheet.
- 3 cups (750 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each cold, cubed butter and lard or shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 pounds (1 kg) California Sweet Cherries, pitted and halved (about 6 cups/1.5 L)
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) milk
- Pie: Pulse flour, butter, lard and salt in a food processor until crumbly.
- Whisk 1 egg with 2 teaspoons (10 mL) lemon juice; add enough ice water to make 2/3 cup
(150 mL). Add to the flour mixture and pulse until the dough comes together. Form into an oblong disk; chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). On a well-floured surface, roll dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick. Trim dough into a 13 x 18-inch (32.5 cm x 45 cm) rectangle. Carefully transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Stir sugar with cornstarch and lemon zest until combined. Sprinkle half of the mixture evenly down the length of one side of the rectangle, leaving a 1-inch (2.5 cm) border.
- Arrange cherries evenly over sugar mixture.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lemon juice with vanilla extract; drizzle evenly over the cherries.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar mixture evenly over top.
- Fold dough over to cover the filling. Fold an additional 1/2-inch (1 cm) of dough from bottom layer over top layer along the edges; crimp with a fork to seal.
- Whisk remaining egg with a little water; brush all over pastry. Slash 4 vent holes in top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely on baking sheet.
- Optional Glaze: Blend icing sugar with milk until smooth. Drizzle evenly over the cooled pie.
Yield: 12 very large servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: California Tree Fruit Agreement