Mixed Fruit and Toffee Popcorn
- 8 cups popped popcorn (about 1/3 to 1/2 cup unpopped)
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup broken pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) package
mixed dried fruit bits (1 1/2 cups)
- Remove all unpopped kernels from popped corn. Place popcorn in a buttered 17
x 12 x 2-inch baking pan. Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degrees F oven while making
- Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine the butter
or margarine, sugar, water, and corn syrup. Bring mixture to boiling over medium
heat. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve
the sugar. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan.
- Carefully clip candy thermometer
to side of pan. Cook and stir mixture over medium heat until thermometer registers
255 degrees F, hard-ball stage (10 to 15 minutes). The mixture should boil at a
moderate, steady rate over the entire surface.
- Remove saucepan from heat; remove candy thermometer. Quickly add pecans and vanilla
extract; stir until combined.
- Pour mixture over the popcorn, toss gently to coat.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 300 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove popcorn from oven;
stir in fruit bits.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes more.
- Turn popcorn mixture onto
a large piece of foil.
- Cool mixture completely.
- Serve immediately or store, tightly covered, in a cool, dry place.
Makes about 22 (1/2 cup) servings.
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving: 171 cal, 10 g fat, 24mg chol,
1 g pro, 20g carb, 0g fiber, 105 mg sodium U.S. RDA: 12% vit. A