- 6 apples, peeled and cored
- Lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar combined with 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Brown sugar
- 2 pie pastries for 2 pies
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- Dumplings: Roll out pastry and cut into squares enough to cover apples completely.
- Peel and core apples.
- Roll in lemon juice.
- Roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Place on pastry square.
- Stuff each core cavity full with brown sugar, butter, brown sugar
in equal parts.
- Fold pastry up around apple to completely enclose it.
- Place in pan.
- Sugar Sauce: Mix water, sugar, vanilla extract, butter, nutmeg, and mace and
boiling for 1 minute. Let cool slightly.
- Pour over apples.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Serve warm.
Apples may be frozen in pastry (before
sugar sauce is added) if desired. Let thaw when ready to use, cover with Sugar Sauce
and bake as usual.