Boiled Fruit Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 scant cups flour
- 1 tteaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup mixed fruit and nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a baking pan.
- Put the sugar, water, shortening, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and
cloves on to boil at a slow simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When cool, stir in 1 beaten egg, flour and the baking soda with a
dash of salt.
- Add the fruit and nuts.
- Pour into a greased pan and bake for about 40 minutes. Be sure to
test the cake as fruit will make it soft in places and if taken out
before done, it will settle and fall.