Southern Country Fried Chicken Sandwich
Chicken breasts are marinated, then breaded and fried. This recipe features a plethora of delicious herbs and spices.
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana style hot sauce
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground poultry seasoning or sage
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup honey
- 8 sliced dill pickles
- 4 cups vegetable oil (may need more depending on size of pan)
- Coleslaw (optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together buttermilk, hot sauce, thyme, garlic clove, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Place chicken breasts into a large sealable bag with the marinade, seal, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours.
- Whisk together flour, 1 tablespoon salt, baking powder, garlic and poultry seasoning or sage to create seasoned flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and water, set aside.
- After marinating, remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Press the chicken breasts into the seasoned flour, evenly coat and shake off excess. Then submerge chicken breasts into the egg wash and then back into the seasoned flour. Firmly press the chicken breast into the breading on both sides to get as much breading adhesion as possible. Place onto a sheet tray that is dusted with the seasoned flour, and place into the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in large deep skillet over medium-high heat until deep-fry thermometer registers between 350 and 375 degrees F. Place chicken breast in skillet. Be sure not to crowd the pan, so oil doesn’t cool down. Turn chicken to brown evenly and remove when golden and cooked through. Chicken is done when meat thermometer inserted in center reaches 170 degrees F.
- Drain on wire rack to keep chicken crispy.
- Mix together mayonnaise and honey to create honey-mayonnaise.
- Place one slice American cheese on each toasted bun. Place two pickle slices on each toasted bun, followed by the crispy chicken breasts and drizzle with honey-mayonnaise.
- Served topped with coleslaw, if desired.
To air fry: Heat the air fryer to 360 degreesF. For last stage of the breading, use store bought seasoned bread crumbs instead of flour. Spray the breaded chicken lightly with vegetable oil pan spray for a couple spritzes. Place in single layer in preheated air fryer, if there’s not enough room, cook in batches. Chicken is done when meat thermometer inserted in center reaches 170 degrees F. Drain on wire rack to keep chicken crispy.