Parmesan Rice Cakes
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 slice whole wheat toast
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Chop onion. In a large frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook 2 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender,
about 20 minutes; cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, grate cheese.
- Crumble toast and add to rice with eggs, cheese, 1/2
teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Shape the rice mixture into 8 patties.
- In a large frying pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high
heat. Fry 4 patties, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter with the remaining 1 tablespoon
oil and fry the remaining patties.