Red as a Beet Rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup converted white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can julienned sliced beets, drained, reserve liquid
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook onion with basil in hot oil in saucepan over medium heat until onion is
- Add rice; cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain beets reserving liquid; set beets aside.
- Pour chicken broth into 3-cup
measuring cup; add reserved beet liquid to measuring cup to equal 2 1/4 cups total
liquid. Add to rice mixture. Cover; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer
for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Gently stir in beets and cheese.
Yields 4 servings.