This is colorful and tasty and the perfect accompaniment for a leg of lamb, roast
ham or pork.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups boiling salted water
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/4 cup seedless raisins
- 1/4 cup currants
- 2 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Cook rice with peeled ginger in boiling salted water until done, about 25 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, soak raisins, currants and apricots in hot water to cover,
then drain when plump.
- When rice is ready, remove ginger and place rice in a warm serving casserole.
- To the rice in the casserole, add pepper, nutmeg, shallots, lemon
juice, coriander and olive oil.
- Gently fold in the plumped raisins, currants and apricots.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with pine nuts.