Irish Coffee Pudding
- 6 eggs
- 8 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 cup very strong coffee
- 1 1/2 ounces powdered gelatine
- 1/3 cup Irish whiskey or Irish Mist
- 10 ounces whipping cream
- 3 ounces crushed walnuts
- Separate the yolks from the whites of eggs. In a bowl, cream
with yolks with the sugar.
- Heat the coffee until hot but not boiling: add the gelatine
and dissolve it in the coffee. Add this mixture to the yolks
and sugar. Beat well and put the bowl over a pot of boiling
water. Continue beating until mixture begins to thicken. remove
from heat, and when the bowl has cooled a little, place it over
cracked ice and continue stirring. When the mixture is on the
point of setting, whip the cream and fold it in. Add the whiskey or Irish Mist.
- Lastly, fold in the well-beaten egg whites. Pour into a
soufflé dish that has a double thickness of parchment paper tied around
it: the paper should come up 3 inches above the top of the soufflé dish.
- Oil a jam jar or bottle and press it down into the center of
the pudding. Leave to set.
- Remove the paper collar by easing
around the circumference with a knife dipped in hot water. Remove
the jar or bottle, and fill the center with 1 cup heavy cream,
whipped, sweetened with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. You can
also decorate the exposed sides of the pudding with crushed
walnuts, pressed on with the palm of your hand.
Yield: 4 servings